Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Linen and No More things

On Sun 21 Dec 2008 05:16:31a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> On Thu 18 Dec 2008 04:14:35a, Bertie Doe told us...
>>
>>> Hi Dee, JT and Wayne.
>>>
>>> I wonder if I can pick your collective on things linen. I've just
>>> received a couple of bread books from Amazon used re-sellers. The
>>> chef/authors suggest using linen for proofing sourdough, although you
>>> can use cling.
>>>
>>> The local village 'linen' shoppe, has loadsa brightly coloured table
>>> napkins, tea towels etc, kinda boutique-style, with prices to match.
>>> There are a couple of linenn shops in the big city, but what should I
>>> be asking for? I guess most will suggest 'non-dyed heavy duty linen'.
>>> I'd be surprised if non-dyed is available, but the question is, does
>>> this matter, if you're baking at 400F/200C?
>>>
>>> Bertie
>>>

>> My first inclination would be going to a fabric store where they sell
>> fabric by the yard. There are professional cloths avaialble, but
>> they're more expensive than what I would want to invest.
>>

> The problem with buying cheap off-cuts of 'linen' from a market stall,
> is the common use the words 'bed linen' and bed linen is probably a
> cotton based material or a mix of cotton and synthetic and will stick to
> the dough. The trader doesn't realise that the linen on the stall, isn't
> vegetable fibres.
>
> The answer might be to find the Uk version of KA Kitchenware, but with
> shipping, these are going to be hellish expensive.

I wasn't suggesting going to a "market stall". Perhaps there are no fabric
shops where you live. In the US there are several major fabric store
chains, as well as independent stores, where the fiber content of their
fabrics is clearly marked. It's easy to buy fabrics that are marked 100%
linen.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Countdown till Christmas Day
3dys 4hrs 16mins
It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend -- Deluzy