Posted to rec.food.equipment
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Linen and No More things

"Moka Java" wrote in message
> jt august wrote:

> Never had a Papa John's pizza but John's on Bleeker St. is a personal
> favorite. I don't have the talent to toss a pizza but stretching, using
> the weight of the dough, works fine. The recipe I use has olive oil in
> it. I prefer a thin, crisp crust.

Yep, I'm with you on that, when I used to buy them from the s/mkt, I much
preferred the thin crispy crust.

When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller, to
achieve thin crispy. Would a tray of water help?

> Speaking of the commissary concept, I remember the old days when tBell
> made their taco meat from ground meat and spice premix. You'd go into a
> store and an employee was at a kettle, stirring the meat with a stirring
> attachment mounted on a electric drill. I wonder if that might have had
> some influence on Alton Brown's Grind-o-matic 5000 Pepper Mill?

I'm a great believer in kitchen aids, as long as the usage justifies the
cost and space. For years, we use a Kenwood multi-processor for whisking and
shredding. We don't do enough bread or cake-making to warrant buying a new
mixer.

The heating element on my ancient breadmaker failed last year. This was good
news, as I am throwing much more interesting loaves in the oven. I use the
'dough only' cycle for just 3 minutes, then finish the dough on the
countertop. Last week the paddle bearing started to make strange noises
(heck - it's 9 yrs old). I ordered a Kenwood Chef 701A from eBay at £41/$60
and it should arrive tomorrow. It's equal to a mid-range Kitchenaid. It's a
large trader with nearly 100% feedback and it's described as in good running
order. IIRC they started the 701A model in the 80's, but if it last another
10 years, I'll be pleased -

Bertie