Posted to rec.food.equipment
jt august[_2_] jt august[_2_] is offline

Default Linen and No More things

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> I know we are all very sensible on rfc with regard to microwave cookers, but
> I did read that mwc can be used on the lower settings to de-bug materials.
> Obviously high settings have been known to set light to natural fibres or
> even toast. If you're worried about those 'flour bugs' getting into the
> cloth, then it may well be worth googling up more research. I would suggest
> several short blasts of 30 seconds at defrost setting, with gaps between
> each blast of say 60 seconds.

The only problem with this is that insects are generally immune to the
sorts of radiation that home microwaves induce. I can't recall if it
was Myth Busters or a show of similar nature (nice wording to say
copy-cat), but I saw on TV where house flies, ants, roaches, fruit
flies, and a couple other bugs I cannot recall were placed in 1000 watt
microwave ovens, and all survived. Their exoskeletons serve to protect
them from radiation. That is why scientists say that insects will
survive a nuclear holocaust unscathed, but will die later of lack of
food that was destroyed by the nuclear explosions.

The radiations used for irradiated meats is a different frequency and
power type that can penetrate a bug's exoskeleton. But this form of
irradiation is not doable in a home environment.

My own technique if I need to clean a bread linen is to take outside,
shake excessively to knock loose as much flour as possible, fill a sink
with a mild dishwashing detergent and very hot water (hot enough to hurt
but not scald my hands), 3 to five passes to rinse, fill the sink an
inch or so with 2 tablespoons of bleach (if I feel a sanitizer is
needed), and a couple more rinses after the sanitizer. Then I hang it
to air dry either outside (weather permitting) or in the kitchen with
the ceiling fan on to circulate air.

The most important factor in my procedure above is that I make sure the
linen is completely dry before shaking, and that I visually ensure that
no flour clumps or dough bits remain before placing in water. For the
detergent, I use Ivory or similarly mild, not an antibacterial, lemon
scented, high grease cutting or other "marketed" detergent, as those
have additives that can also impact the breads flavor.

Of course, meticulous care of your bread linens will preclude such
cleanings, but if you have kids (as I do), well - need I say more?

jt