Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default What Do You Put in Your Pantry?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:50:51 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Now having said that begin slowly to buy extra stock of things you use BUT
>ONLY when the item is on sale.
>
>As example if you use Best Foods Mayo and it goes on sale buy a few extra
>jars. In addition if you like going to Trader Joe's and it's far away then
>buy enough to save a trip to TJ'S - you'll save some gas.
>
>Dimitri

This is what I do.

For instance, sugar and flour have been on sale for a really, really
good price at one of the markets here in town. I picked up a few bags
of each, and it is now in one of my cabinets.

I do the same when I see other things on sale that I use regularly.
Like canned tomatoes. They go on sale often enough, that I usually
just pick up an extra can when I am out shopping.

If you do it here and there like that, you can build up your
stockpiles easily, and fill up those shelves.. And then when that
blizzard comes along, or when the money gets low, you have a stocked
pantry.

Like Dimitri says, do it slowly..not going all out and getting cases
of stuff...but an extra can here and there, or an extra whatever it
is....but only on sale.

I usually check out the circulars online, and figure out what I need,
from what is on sale that week. I think most of them are online these
days, even in smaller towns.

Christine