Posted to rec.food.equipment
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Linen and No More things

"Dee Randall" < wrote in message

> "Bertie Doe" wrote in message
>>I guess most will suggest 'non-dyed heavy duty linen'. I'd be surprised if
>>non-dyed is available, but the question is, does this matter, if you're
>>baking at 400F/200C?
>>
>> Bertie

> I have bought the heavy non-dyed linen that is available at KingArthur
> http://search.kingarthurflour.com/?N...uche&x=20&y=13
> which is called a couche. It is 18x30.
> Already I find that I 'want' a wider linen. So I'll be buying a 31' wide
> which I will have to buy at a baking/restaurant supply house.

I see the couche is made in linen, which looks ideal for baguettes (which I
don't make). I'll be looking for a fabric, in thickness somewhere closer to
a kitchen towel.

> I'm not sure of your question regarding the temperature you bake at, as
> they are used when proofing.

I was being stupid, high oven temps will kill bugs, but will have no effect
on dyes or color fixing acids.

> It depends to what level you want to take bread-baking in your life. For
> years, I have used worn-out kitchen towels. I see many bakers books
> suggesting using cling plastic wrap. This is something I will never do,
> although others swear by it. I tried it a couple of times years ago. It
> clings, befitting its own description. Others will come back with "It
> doesn't cling for me!"

Yes I find that cling film tears the surface on removal. You can get round
it by spraying with oil, then covering with cling, but I prefer the crust
without oil.

> Last week I was in a baker's shop where one could view all sorts of bread
> and pastries being made. They used the heavy-duty linen. It must matter
> to them, otherwise, they'd use the cheaper flour-sack tea towels (which
> I've used.)

A lot of French bakers, will cover rolls and ciches etc, when removing them
from the oven. This traps in some of the seam and give the crusts a softer
texture - if that's what they're looking for.

> Re flour-sack tea towels, I stopped using them years ago. For some
> reason, when bleached they would turn pee-colored yellow.

I'm not sure what flour-sack towels were made from? Yours may be heavy
cotton, but in the UK, they're probably double-layer paper.

Bertie