Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Construction/hardware tools for cooking?

Omelet wrote:
> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

I often use my propane torch to caramelize sugar ofor things like creme
brulee. I have used a hammer in an attempt to crack macadamea nuts. I
have used pliers to rip connective tissue off spare ribs. I have also
used pliers to crack lobster. Microplane graters were originally
intended for autobody work.

BTW... you might find that your saw works better if you use the
appropriate blade for it. Bow saws have many different applications. You
use the same bow saw frame with different blades. There are different
hacksaw blades for different types and hardness of metal and some
designed specifically for bone.

> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

They have god stuff for surgeons too. A friend of mine had a summer job
working in the store room of a hospital and was surprised one day when a
neurosurgeon ordered a Black & Decker drill.