Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Construction/hardware tools for cooking?

Om wrote:

> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

I use a rubber mallet to help cut into hard vegetables (big rutabagas and
hard-skinned squashes in particular).

Needle-nosed pliers are good for removing the pin bones from salmon.

A hatchet can do double duty as a cleaver. Of course, if you have a spare
food-grade BANDSAW around, who needs a cleaver? :-)

Bob