Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Construction/hardware tools for cooking?

Pete wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:17:40 -0600:

> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>>
>> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to
>> kitchen tools?
>>
>> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's
>> mainly for cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch
>> has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing
>> that singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in
>> burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>>
>> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or
>> maybe a small trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber
>> spatula but I'm wondering if something metal might not be
>> more efficient.
>>
>> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home
> in my kitchen or shop.

I use mine in the workshop and also when broiling tomatoes, peppers or
egg plants. Since my broiler is electric, I give the vegs a good
singeing with the torch before removing the skins to get the desired
charred taste. This has caused a little interest from passers-by since
the most convenient place is the doorstep :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland