Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Construction/hardware tools for cooking?

Omelet wrote:

> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home in my
kitchen or shop.

I got an IR thermometer for the shop, but it quickly got dedicated to
the kitchen and I bought another for the shop.

I hear the plastic notched adhesive spreaders used for flooring adhesive
are good in the kitchen for frosting use. I imaging the plastic putty
knives in various widths would be as well.

I once used a big 6" C clamp to crack a particularly large lobster claw.

I decided to try cheese making once, so I went out to the shop and in
about 30 min fabricated a pneumatic cheese press. I ran 150' of air hose
into the house from the detached shop to power it.

I'm sure there is some culinary use for the 20 ton press out in the
shop.

While not the most common shop item, my liquid nitrogen dewar and it's
contents get more use in the kitchen than in the shop.