Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee
Lloyd Parsons Lloyd Parsons is offline

Default Keurig one-cup coffee brewers

In article >,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Lloyd Parsons > wrote:
>
> > > I guess if you are a coffee shop person spending $2.50 or so, that buck a
> > > cup is a savings. For a home brewer, it certainly gets expensive.

> > That is true. But the single-serve fans consider it OK because they
> > think the coffee is great and the cost is overridden by the convenience.

> I'm a coffee shop person, because I drink a cup or two a week.
>
> I'd still have to do the math, but even a buck a cup (mmm, OK, 75 cents)
> represents a savings in the end. But that would have to be everything,
> machine included, over a reasonable period of time.

Well, there are deals and there are deals....

I happened on a great deal on the Senseo. I had to do an online survey
with them, and then a followup after and I got the maker for free with a
few pods included.

Now I use it with home-made pods that I do with fresh coffee that I've
roasted when I go up to my mom's house. A bit of a pain to make the
pods, but doesn't take longer than it does me to make a shot or an
Americano on the epresso machine. And the Senseo weighs a hell of a lot
less than my Alex!!

Frankly, if you go that way, I'd opt for a pod maker over the Tassimo or
Keurig. Looks like the cheapest Senseo is about $60 and pods run about
$.50 each depending on which ones you get. But you get the pods online
as few stores carry them, and usually the ones they have are loose in a
bag, so once you open the bag, they start going stale just like ground
coffee.

The online sellers like bettercoffee.com sell pods that are in
individual sealed packs.