Posted to rec.food.equipment
Walter Spector Walter Spector is offline

Default using the 'clean' feature for an oven

jt august wrote:
> If the manufacturer says the racks can stay in, they either engineered
> the metals and geometry too avoid warpage, or the clearances are great
> enough to remain clear on slight warpage. It comes down to the
> engineering.

In both the Dacor and Viking examples I posted upthread, the
manufacturers state that the racks (both regular and glide) should be
removed before self-clean. I currently own both a Dacor range and a
Viking wall oven. So these are the examples I am familiar with.

Older self-cleaning ovens that I have had, basically GE and Frigidaire,
did not have restrictions on leaving the racks in during self cleaning.
OTOH, none had the nice glide racks, and none had the nice chrome-plated
surfaces and heavy steel construction that these higher end racks have.
You could describe their racks as 'cheap'. The only good thing about them
was that, being unplated, you could leave them in the oven during self-clean..
And their clearances were loose enough that it didn't matter how warped
they got.

W.