Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default Costco Meat

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Squeaks wrote:
>
>> Our traditional Christmas dinner is prime rib with Yorkshire pudding
>> (the DH, who is generally entirely clueless in the kitchen, has
>> become something of an idiot savant when it comes to Yorkshire
>> pudding - his puds turn out brilliantly) and we generally order 2
>> rib roasts from Gelson's (an upscale SoCal market) b/c they've
>> always delivered top notch meat and I won't scrimp on a Big Dinner
>> such as this. The DH either read or heard about Costco's meat, which
>> is supposed to be top notch, too. He wants to order our roasts from
>> Costco, selecting the prime 4+ pounders, but not having tried their
>> meat dept. wonder if anyone can weigh in on the quality of their
>> meat. Their roasts aren't *that* darned much less, running about $75
>> per roast, but he'd like to give it a try. I have reservations about
>> *anything* edible from Costco that doesn't live in a freezer, as
>> I've seen mice scurrying from pallet to pallet during *daylight* and
>> shudder to think what surfaces might be contaminated by the little
>> buggers.
>>
>> What say you?

> I had your same misgivings up until several years ago. Then I tried
> it (on Bob Pastorio's recommendation, I believe) and I haven't looked
> back. Costco meats here are higher-quality than in any of the grocery
> stores around here, and on a par with the highest-grade butcher here.
> Their standing rib roast is fully the equal of the butcher's.

I spent a lot of money from an upscale store to buy a Prime rib
roast, prime as in the grade. Frankly, I wasn't all that crazy about
it, but I've never had a complaint about the rib roasts I have bought
at Costco. It's always excellent.

I've never noticed a rodent problem, but who knows. I can't say
any store I've ever shopped doesn't have the occasional mouse
problem, my own house does as well. Not commenting on the
store in question, my Costco seems very clean.

nancy