Posted to rec.food.cooking
K[_4_] K[_4_] is offline

Default Costco Meat

>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>
>> --

> By "prime rib" do you mean USDA Prime Standing Rib Roast, or just Standing
> Rib Roast?
> We've always been very happy with Costco's USDA Choice Standing Rib
> Roasts. They only have the mandatory "bone in" during the holiday season.
> I don't think, given the endogenous fat content of standing rib roasts,
> that it makes much sense to invest in USDA Prime. We bought USDA Choice
> Standing Rib Roasts at our local Costco for $4.99/lb recently. It may have
> been a pricing error, which you see now and then. Today they were
> $7.99/lb, still a good price. As Julia Child advised, get the roast from
> the small end.
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Theron,

I'm new to this group and hate to speak out of turn, but prime rib doesn't
refer to USDA prime beef, but rather to the 'primal' rib, where the cut of
beef starts (or ends, depending on your viewpoint of the steer). It's hard
to find USDA prime beef in most areas, but possible in larger cities, and
probably near beef-producing areas.

Given that USDA choice is our lot as consumers, just check the label on the
package. If it says something about a percentage of 'solution' put it back.
That 'solution' is water and salt added to the meat to add weight, in
amounts from 10% to 30%. The packers claim it's for flavor, but it's for
weight. How tasty is water, after all?

That said, finding hams without water added can be problematical, but smoked
hams are usually free of added water. They're also saltier than most hams,
so judge the value yourself.

This is backwards, I guess, but hi! I'm Keith.

Keith