Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tracy[_2_] Tracy[_2_] is offline

Default Less posters on group

Nancy Young wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 12:29 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
>>> and

>> The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
>> posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

> (laughing) You know I wanted to say it (sorry Theron).
>
>> Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.
>>
>> There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
>> tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

> We'll just have to out-post them with cooking stuff.
> I had home made beef barley soup for dinner last night, just what the
> doctor ordered for a cold. This is good stuff.
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of the
> seasonings. nancy)
>
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1 tablespoon vegetable
> oil 1 cup water 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme 1/4 teaspoon MSG 1/8 teaspoon
> pepper 1 bay leaf 4 cups water 3 medium carrots, sliced 1 large stalk
> celery, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with
> liquid 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium heat until
> brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through the bay leaf. Cover
> and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce
> heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 35 minutes.
>

> nancy

I JUST bought some barley for the first time thinking I'd try my hands
at beef barley soup.
Thanks for the recipe. I don't think I have any chuck around - would any
other cut work?
I have some sirloin tips and maybe some blade steaks (are those chuck?)
and possibly a top round steak.

I was also sorta thinking mushroom barley.

-Tracy