Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Costco Meat

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Our traditional Christmas dinner is prime rib with Yorkshire pudding
> (the DH, who is generally entirely clueless in the kitchen, has become
> something of an idiot savant when it comes to Yorkshire pudding - his
> puds turn out brilliantly) and we generally order 2 rib roasts from
> Gelson's (an upscale SoCal market) b/c they've always delivered top
> notch meat and I won't scrimp on a Big Dinner such as this. The DH
> either read or heard about Costco's meat, which is supposed to be top
> notch, too. He wants to order our roasts from Costco, selecting the
> prime 4+ pounders, but not having tried their meat dept. wonder if
> anyone can weigh in on the quality of their meat. Their roasts aren't
> *that* darned much less, running about $75 per roast, but he'd like to
> give it a try. I have reservations about *anything* edible from Costco
> that doesn't live in a freezer, as I've seen mice scurrying from
> pallet to pallet during *daylight* and shudder to think what surfaces
> might be contaminated by the little buggers.

I've never bought prime rib from Costco, but we've had our fair share of
their beef tenderloins, cooked according to Cook's Illustrated recipe,
and they have been wonderful. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Much
of their meat seems to be Cryovac sealed.

And I have never seem mice in the store but our new cat caught one in
the house Thanksgiving weekend. Here in the 'burbs they come in from
the cold every fall and we have to trap or poison. Cat did well.

gloria p