Posted to rec.food.cooking
theron theron is offline

Default Costco Meat

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Our traditional Christmas dinner is prime rib with Yorkshire pudding
> (the DH, who is generally entirely clueless in the kitchen, has become
> something of an idiot savant when it comes to Yorkshire pudding - his
> puds turn out brilliantly) and we generally order 2 rib roasts from
> Gelson's (an upscale SoCal market) b/c they've always delivered top
> notch meat and I won't scrimp on a Big Dinner such as this. The DH
> either read or heard about Costco's meat, which is supposed to be top
> notch, too. He wants to order our roasts from Costco, selecting the
> prime 4+ pounders, but not having tried their meat dept. wonder if
> anyone can weigh in on the quality of their meat. Their roasts aren't
> *that* darned much less, running about $75 per roast, but he'd like to
> give it a try. I have reservations about *anything* edible from Costco
> that doesn't live in a freezer, as I've seen mice scurrying from
> pallet to pallet during *daylight* and shudder to think what surfaces
> might be contaminated by the little buggers.
>
> What say you?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --

By "prime rib" do you mean USDA Prime Standing Rib Roast, or just Standing
Rib Roast?
We've always been very happy with Costco's USDA Choice Standing Rib Roasts.
They only have the mandatory "bone in" during the holiday season. I don't
think, given the endogenous fat content of standing rib roasts, that it
makes much sense to invest in USDA Prime. We bought USDA Choice Standing Rib
Roasts at our local Costco for $4.99/lb recently. It may have been a pricing
error, which you see now and then. Today they were $7.99/lb, still a good
price. As Julia Child advised, get the roast from the small end.
Happy Holidays,

Theron,