Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default using the 'clean' feature for an oven

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 06:29:21p, Irina Paley told us...

> On Nov 29, 6:15*pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Okay, I very rarely use my range oven, but it does need cleaning. *Sinc

>> spouse and I tend to cook for one most of the time, our small
>> toaster-oven frequently gets used instead, often mutliple times in a
>> single day.
>>
>> My GE natural gas range is relatively new; it was purchased some six
>> years ago or so. *However, the "cleaning" feature for the oven has neve

>> been used. *Other than RTFM (which is a given <g>), what other
>> peculiarities should I know when 'cleaning' the oven? *For instance,
>> I've heard it's wise to remove the oven shelves/racks before 'cleaning,'
>> so I intend to do that. *Anything else? *Wipe down the interior first

> ,
>> perhaps? *I really have no clue. *

> When I tried using the "self clean" option on my oven, it was a total
> disaster. I only tried that because I was curious about what exactly
> it entailed. Basically, I think "self clean" (at least in my case)
> means that the stove heats up to a hellish temperature, sets off your
> fire alarm, and infuriates your neighbors. That's all. No magic
> scrubbing fairies. I think the idea is that the extreme heat acts as
> a disinfectant, but I am not so sure. (Why not just use a
> disinfecting cleaning solution and save on energy costs?) I had to
> turn the "self-clean" before it finished. I use my oven a lot, and it
> gets filthy, but I still rather clean it the old-fashioned way.

Too bad you invested in one, or maybe you invested in one that isn’t very
good at cleaning.

Over the years I’ve owned several different brands of ranges with self
cleaning ovens, and any complaints I’ve had are too minor to mention.

Yes, the stove heats up to a “hellish” temperature. It’s supposed to. It
must reach a temperature that will incinerate spots and spatters of cooked
foods and fats. If the oven isn’t cleaned frequently enough and the oven
is terribly messy, it’s possible (though not likely) that more than one
cleaning cycle might be needed.

Properly used, a self cleaning oven will be virtually spotless when the
cycle is completed, with only a small amount of ash that can be either
vacuumed out or wiped clean with a damp towel.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 1dys 4hrs 45mins
I get my exercise acting as a pallbearer to my friends who
exercise. --Chauncey Depew