Posted to alt.food.wine

Default a deco a deco tasting

st.helier wrote on Mon, 1 Dec 2008 00:08:05 -0800 (PST):

> "James Silverton" wrote:
>>
>> I live and learn! I was not aware that sparkling wines were
>> made in NZ (and I'll resist the temptation to call them
>> "champagnes" :-) Do you or his Lordship know where they can
>> be bought oversea. I'd be most interested in the Washington,
>> DC area of course.
>>

> [Still in the UK - will respond in more detail on my return to
> NZ]

> Jim,

> Considering that Veuve Clicquot owns Cloudy Bay, and Deutz is
> in partnership with NZs largest producer, Montana (and part of
> the Pernod Ricard Group) and that NZ (in general) and
> Marlborough (in particular) is the southern hemisphere's only
> true cool climate wine producer, why should you be surprised.

> The UK discovered Lindauer many years ago, where it remains
> one of the best selling, best priced traditional method
> sparklers.

I did not mean to sound surprised that NZ made sparkling wine and, from
what I have heard of the climate, I would expect very decent wines. What
I was surprised about was that I had never heard of them but I would
like to try them. The French do know their business; some of the best
California "champagnes" are made by French owned companies. We shared an
excellent bottle of Mumm Brut over Thanksgiving.

--

Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland