Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Default using the 'clean' feature for an oven

Okay, I very rarely use my range oven, but it does need cleaning. Since
spouse and I tend to cook for one most of the time, our small
toaster-oven frequently gets used instead, often mutliple times in a
single day.

My GE natural gas range is relatively new; it was purchased some six
years ago or so. However, the "cleaning" feature for the oven has never
been used. Other than RTFM (which is a given <g>), what other
peculiarities should I know when 'cleaning' the oven? For instance,
I've heard it's wise to remove the oven shelves/racks before 'cleaning,'
so I intend to do that. Anything else? Wipe down the interior first,
perhaps? I really have no clue.

Sky, who has a few fire extinguishers around for just-in-case!

P.S. Don't ask about the time when a whole beef tenderloin roast was
held captive in the electric oven one holiday many years ago when the
oven was accidentally set to 'clean' -- and it locked(!!!), with said
roast inside the oven! The electric breaker for the oven was
subsequently turned off to circumvent the clean cycle. The roast was
eventually rescued - whew!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice