Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter-Lucas Peter-Lucas is offline

Default A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:6pbfl1F755rvU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Peter-Lucas wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Pretty simple, val. "shrimp scampi" is a misnomer. "Scampi" means
>>> shrimp. Shrimp scampi translates to "shrimp shrimp" when you get
>>> literal about it. To a lot of people it means shrimp in butter and
>>> garlic sauce because that's what many restaurant menus call

"scampi".
>>> Not that there's anything wrong with that
>>>

>> Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy
>> langoustine, or our Marron/Freshwater cray.
>>
>> Shrimp=prawn.
>>
>> Shrimp/prawns in butter and garlic, is Garlic Prawns/shrimp.
>>

>> In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in
>> Italian-American cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the
>> name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine,
>>

> Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!

It was one part of a large text taken from Wiki. You also left off the
part where it says you and your Pommy mates have *******ised the words
to suit yourselves.

You said Scampi means Shrimp. It doesn't.

Scampi (to the rest of the world) means small lobster.

Shrimp = Prawns.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don't have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".