Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 1976

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> I can't believe that Joe Heitz doesn't know what eucalyptus smells like
> but that is the smell of every Heitz Martha's Vineyard that I have ever
> tasted going back to 1976.

The problem here is that not all people smell the same thing. To Joe
Heitz, eucalyptus smelled like cat ****, whereas to me it has a
pleasant, balsamic odor (and, I presume, to you also). Just talk to
people about a wine like Beaucastel, where half the group loves it and
talks about "meatiness" or "gaminess" and the other half hates it and
talks about it smelling like shit. Now, does half the group not know
what shit smells like? ;-) Sensitivity to a given smell also plays a
role: most people like the smell of eau de skunk at low ppm levels, but
far fewer like the smell when it's more intense.

Mark Lipton