Posted to rec.food.cooking
PeterLucas[_5_] PeterLucas[_5_] is offline

Default Thank you! Lest We Forget!

Dave Smith > wrote in news:4919902a$0$5560
:

> buried in that plot. The grandfather was veteran of the Boer War and
> WWI. My Fil was also veteran of WWI, but was in the American army.
>
> We had to do the family thing yesterday because we had to go to the
> ceremony at the local Legion because they were also dedicating the

new
> Peace Park, and my brother's and I had bought a stone in my father's
> name. He was a veteran of WW II.

My SO's Grand-dad was a Boer War and WW1 vet. My Grandfather was a WW1
and WW2 veteran.

I've been doing research off and on for a few years now, tracking where
they went/what they did etc. I was hoping to find that they had crossed
paths somewhere in France :-)

The SO's gd was shot through the thigh and fell off his mount while
serving with 2nd Brabants Horse, who were chasing the "Black Angel",
General DeWet. His life was spared (any wounded 'enemy' were shot out of
hand by the Boers) by the Boer that found him because he could speak
their language.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/...-05/1210877929

765 Fredericks, J Tpr

My gd joined up under a false name as he was underage at the time. He
was shot through the chest/shoulder in a battle near Bullecourt. He was
then gassed as he lay wounded on the battlefield and subsequently picked
up by the Germans and spent a few years in a POW camp in Hanover.

It gives me a great sense of awe in knowing what they went through, and
pride in their achievments, when I wear their medals next to mine and
stand with my Unit/s on Anzac Day and Rememberance Day.

I have often asked/told my SO to wear her grandads medals and march with
me in the Anzac Day parade (mainly because there aren't many Boer War
contingents/decendants of late) but her feeling is that medals won on
battlefields should only be worn by soldiers, and the parade should only
be for soldiers.

Oh well.......

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)