Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thank you! Lest We Forget!

readandpost wrote:
> thank you to ALL of our veterans! including both of my parents!

I'll second that. We were at the town Remembrance Day ceremony on Sunday
and yesterday we had to drive into Toronto to visit my wife's family
plot. My MiL died on Nov. 11, 25 years ago today and my wife likes to go
in on the 11th to lay a wreath. MiL's father and grandfather are also
buried in that plot. The grandfather was veteran of the Boer War and
WWI. My Fil was also veteran of WWI, but was in the American army.

We had to do the family thing yesterday because we had to go to the
ceremony at the local Legion because they were also dedicating the new
Peace Park, and my brother's and I had bought a stone in my father's
name. He was a veteran of WW II.

This afternoon I have to go to the town library to get a book signed by
the author. I just finished reading the book last night. It was about
his experiences in the Italian campaign. Most of the book is quite
funny, because the guy is naturally funny, but later on he tells more
about some of the horrible experiences. Writing the book was a
therapeutic exercise for him to relieve the problems he has suffered
since the war. It was interesting to note that he was at all the same
places that one of my uncles had been in Italy.