Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred Phred is offline

Default Goats & rabbits [Was: TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan familycelebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken and goats]

In article >, =?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= > wrote:
>On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:12:00 +0000, Phred wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> I had a closer look at the frozen ones in our local "second" supermarket
>> this morning. I couldn't find a weight on the label, but the price was
>> $25.00 each... Clearly no longer Depression fare!

>Not at all surprising, when you consider the time and effort involved
>getting rabbit to the supermarket. The economies of scale and existing
>infrastructure compared to mass-produced 'factory' meats such as most
>beef and lamb and chicken is totally different.

Hmm... Perhaps true, but I'm not so sure. In fact, I was startled to
read on the label that these frozen rabbits were "Grain fed", which
left me imagining a rabbit feedlot out back of Bourke! (And here's me
thinking rabbits ate lettuce. ;-)

Of course, "Grain fed" may just have meant they were shot in a paddock
of wheat on the Darling Downs -- or, more likely, had no meaning at
all beyond a glib marketing phrase.

If there really are rabbit feedlots somewhere in Oz, maybe someone out
there can enlighten the rest of us? (I doubt that there would be any
in Queensland because, last time I looked, it was/is illegal to keep
the damn pests here.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID