Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred Phred is offline

Default Goats & rabbits [Was: TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken and goats]

In article <ehrebeniuk-279E6A.20335607112008@news>, Chookie > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Phred) wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
>> more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
>> exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.

>AS I live close to a large Middle Eastern community, it isn't too hard to find
>here. I like it.
>
>> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
>> in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
>> food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
>> free for the catching back then.

>Hideously expensive, these days. When I started work in 1993, it was in
>Redfern, ie, South Sydney Rabbitohs territory. And indeed the butcher near my
>work had rabbits for $3.50 each. Very tasty (and the butcher was rather a
>dish too!). Now I work near Leichhardt, where rabbits can be obtained for
>$15/kg! I just can't come at it at that price.

I had a closer look at the frozen ones in our local "second"
supermarket this morning. I couldn't find a weight on the label, but
the price was $25.00 each... Clearly no longer Depression fare!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID