Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Goats & rabbits [Was: TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken and goats]

In article >,
(Phred) wrote:

> ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
> more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
> exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.

AS I live close to a large Middle Eastern community, it isn't too hard to find
here. I like it.

> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
> in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
> food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
> free for the catching back then.

Hideously expensive, these days. When I started work in 1993, it was in
Redfern, ie, South Sydney Rabbitohs territory. And indeed the butcher near my
work had rabbits for $3.50 each. Very tasty (and the butcher was rather a
dish too!). Now I work near Leichhardt, where rabbits can be obtained for
$15/kg! I just can't come at it at that price.

Oh, and for a while I worked with a French guy who was completely put off by
the sight of the rabbits in the butcher's window. "It looks like a cat!"

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/