Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ross McKay[_2_] Ross McKay[_2_] is offline

Default Apple and Onion pickle - what now?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Deidzoeb wrote:

>I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
>recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
>do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
>here? My God, what have I done?

Add tomatoes

I make a tomato and apple chutney that uses about 4:2:1 ratio of
tomatoes to apples to onions, plus spices, salt, sugar and vinegar.
Roughly made up from a recipe in an old book, but I'm sure you can
google up similar to suit your tastes. Very tasty on a spicy dal served
with a boiled egg and a dosa for breakfast!
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"