Posted to alt.food.wine
miles miles is offline

Default Wine refrigerators revisited

wrote:

> When we arrived home I retrieved a bottle of 1997 Mauro Veglio Barolo
> we had been storing for several years in our New England basement
> which varies from 60-80 degrees.

Stable temperatures are more important in my opinion. The higher the
temperature the faster a bottle will peak and the less complex. 20
degree swings cause more damage than bottle placement. You can get wine
racks inexpensively but I still feel the need for stable temps outweighs
their use. Leaving a bottle upright may allow the cork to dry out but
if you live in a high humidity area its certainly less of a problem.

That said the ideal would be a wine refrigerator that holds temperatures
stable as well as laying the bottle on its side. I looked around at
several years ago and ended up selecting a U-Line under counter model.
Same dimensions as a standard kitchen cabinet so it slid right in under
the counter top. The same model is available with wood or painted metal
sides. Its now 15 years old and zero problems.