Posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected] jj@unspameljefe.net is offline

Default Easy way to stack wine or wine rack

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:19:55 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> For the PVC pipe approach, see this website:
>
>http://www.wineintro.com/products/ra.../winerack.html

Hmmm..the pipe in those illustrations looks more like ABS than PVC. It
looks rather thin, too, which lends to the ABS possibility. ABS is
primarily used in plumbing, PVC more for electrical conduit.

If you do shop for PVC there are a couple things to be aware of:

1. The price of it has recently taken a leap, as has most everything
oil-related. (The official excuse is that Hurricane Ike damaged
several large production facilities inTexas.) The larger diameter
pipe can be pricy. Call around.

2. It generally comes in 10 foot lengths. Don't take your VW down to
Home Depot unless you also take a hack saw. If your bottles
average roughly 12" long, you should be able to get 10 single tubes
per 10-foot stick.

3. Electrical PVC comes in two specs, Schedule 40 and Schedule 80.
Schedule 80 is thicker and more expensive. Of course, it's more
resilient, too, but if you're not planning on driving over a trench
with a bulldozer you really don't need it. I don't know much about
ABS, but I'm sure there are various grades of it, too.

JJ