Posted to alt.food.wine
Dick R. Dick R. is offline

Default Easy way to stack wine or wine rack

Dick R. wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>
>> I put an offer in on a house to buy that has a small cellar. It's
>> perfect for wine. I don't have much of a stock yet, but I am thinking
>> this would be a terrific place to store wine. I can stand up in this
>> cellar, and it's a dirt floor and about 5x5 feet (maybe bigger). It
>> has a light to see, too!
>>
>> I don't want a fancy wine rack or anything right now unless I can find
>> something really afforadble. Has anyone had any success with make-
>> shift racks out of storage cubes, or crates or boards or know of an
>> affordable wine storage stacking system?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Karen

> Hi Karen,
> Anders and Dale (so far) have good ideas on storage, but what intrigues
> me most is the cellar. Depending on where you live, a dirt floor cellar
> could provide the temperature and humidity needed for wine storage.
> Tell us more.
> Dick R.

And let me add ...
A couple of years ago we visited the Truman home in Independence, MO.
It was a real step back in time because there were old magazines on
tables in the living room, and it looked like the Trumans had just stepped
out for a walk. The National Park Service maintains the home and they're
still taking inventory. The most intriguing part is that Harry often
received bottles of wine from visiting dignitaries, and since he wasn't
much of a drinker the bottles were stored in the dirt floor basement.
The basement isn't open for tourists, but it made me wonder what treasures
might be down there.

I'm Dick R. and I approve this message. :-)