Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] CdR, Bone Jolly, La Rioja Alta

Some wines from the past weekend. On Friday, Andrew and I went to
dinner at some friends' house while Jean was in Chicago. I brought:

'04 Dom. de L'Espigouette Plan de Dieu
nose: gamy kirsch
palate: medium body, good acidity, cherryish fruit with a meaty overlay

Very nice wine, if not appreciably better than this producer's Cotes du
Rhone VV bottling.

On Saturday, we attended a Halloween progressive dinner in our
neighborhood. Jean went as Little Red Riding Hood and brought a bottle
of wine in her picnic basket (Granny should have been so lucky):

2006 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Witters Vyd Gamay
nose: grapefruit and cranberry, brightly fruity
palate: light body, crisp entry, bright, light fruit

Not likely to be mistaken for a Beaujolais, this is a gorgeous example
of Gamay from California. Having had the rosé made from these grapes, I
find the red equally appealing.

Tonight, I made a paella for dinner and chose to open with it:

1990 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904
nose: pencil lead, vanilla, spices, cherries
palate: light body, high acidity, pencil lead, vanilla, deep fruit

Vaguely reminiscent of an aged Silver Oak Cab, this wine was beguiling
nonetheless with its aromatic character. I was also reminded of an aged
Dujac Burgundy at times. Very lovely.

Mark Lipton