Posted to rec.food.cooking
anon anon is offline

Default Soup thickening

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> SteveB wrote:
>>
>> I went to a restaurant yesterday, and they had great clam chowder. Then
>> my
>> wife made some corn chowder today, and it was altogether different. The
>> thick almost gravy broth had a flour taste. The restaurant chowder had
>> the
>> same consistency, but a much more flavorful broth.
>>
>> What is a good combination for thickening soup broths? Cornstarch?
>> Wondra?

> Flour taste indicates the flour was not cooked enough, and probably
> added late as just a flour / water mix. Make a roux seperatly and add
> that to thicken the chowder. You still have to simmer it for a few
> minutes to get the thickening, but since the roux is already cooked
> separately there is less chance of having a flour taste.

I always make a roux separately, and add it as needed to the soup stock.
Make roux with one part flour to .8 parts olive oil by volume. Mix well in
small pyrex bowl and microwave on level 3-4 or so until the flour gets
"cooked", stirring now and then. It's done when you can't taste raw flour
and browned to your level of liking. You have to use a bit more olive oil
than you do on the stove. Cook at a low temp as the oil absorbs the m-wave
much more than water.