frohe

Default Controlling the amount of smoke flavor

butch burton wrote:
> Several of my friends have said they think my smoked ham has too much
> smoke flavor-my brother said the ham was pretty good once they cut off
> the dark part.
> Keep all the brisket for myself-know the smoke on the brisket would
> gag my friends-so eat it all myself.
>
> Wow But after talking to a local guy who sells lots of smoked
> salmon-learned this: He smokes large filet's for about 30 minutes at
> 225F and then into a convection oven to finish the cooking process.
> He too got complaints about too much smoke flavor.
>
> Here is the kicker-he said he has wrapped salmon in Saran wrap to
> control the amount of smoke it gets. Have a small 7# whole salmon to
> smoke-what I plan to do is wrap one half in Saran-supposedly ok to
> 400F and leave the other unwrapped and keep the smoker at 220-225F
> till the internal meat temp his 140F.
>
> Comments/suggestions

Prolly had way too much smoke. Most folks think smokin means billows &
billows of smoke comin from the cooker. Not so; you want just a wisp of
smoke comin out. How much smoke for how long is up to everyone's taste buds
but delicate meats like fish take a little smoke for a short while.

As for the Saran wrap - well, that's just plain stupid IMO. Seems ya puttin
wrap around it to keep the smoke from gettin to it when usin less smoke
would do the same thing. 'Sides, sounds like shrink-wrapped food to me.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry