Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Catfish By Any Other Name...

Becca wrote on Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:29:26 -0500:

> Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

> Becca

It was interesting and one little bit impressed me:
__________________
Pangasius also benefited from American catfish’s vulnerability to
something called “off-flavor.” Off-flavor happens when blue-green algae
predominate in stagnant freshwater and emit geosim — a harmless,
muddy-tasting compound that passes easily into fish flesh. Since U.S.
environmental regulations limit the amount of water that can be
discharged, algal blooms are common, and catfish occasionally get that
geosim taste.

So that's what the muddy taste of catfish is caused by! I've never had
catfish without the muddy taste and I suspect that people's tastes are
not as sensitive as they might be :-). That would explain how stores,
even Fresh Fields, can get away with what they call "fresh" fish.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland