Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default A Catfish By Any Other Name...

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >

> >> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/ma...atfish-t.html?
> >>

> >> October 12, 2008
> >>
> >> NYT "Magazine": The Food Issue
> >>
> >> A Catfish by Any Other Name

> > <snip small book>
> >
> > Blinky loves basa. I've mentioned it in here more than once, calling
> > it the best deal in town on tasty fish (the fillets I had last
> > weekend were $4.49US per pound; they were $3.99 for ages, but people
> > seem to be discovering them). I couldn't make it through that entire
> > article, but
> > I read somewhere a while back that it's called basa here because when
> > it first started being imported it was called "Vietnamese catfish"
> > and the US catfish industry went a-whining to Uncle and got that name
> > banned. Call it what you will, it's yummy.

> I saw "Basa" at the grocery store the other day and it sure wasn't cheap.
> Hell, farm raised U.S. catfish (and it's farm raised all around west TN, AR
> and MS) isn't cheap anymore; it hasn't been for quite a while. When it
> starts showing up on the menus of restaurants topped with cream sauces,
> that's when the price goes up. Remember when no one had ever heard of
> Tilapia? LOL
>
> Jill

Tilapia fillet is out of my price range now. So is catfish fillet at
$4.99. :-( Even nuggets are now up to $2.99.
Tilapia imho does not taste good enough to pay $4.99 per lb. for. I'd
rather eat whiting.

On the up-side, I scored 4 t-bone beef steaks for $3.99 this morning.
;-) Each weighed over 16 oz. each. They are currently frozen and I'll
probably actually fire up the wood grill for those!

Been awhile since I've blown $20.00 on steaks.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om