Kevin S. Wilson

Default Thanksgiving for temporary curmudgeons

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:06:38 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:14:52 -0800, "Duwop" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> "Trolling for trolls"? That makes no sense.

>Well I suppose that's why you're a technical writer.

That's one. But you have to take a swipe at academia and say something
disparaging about Idaho before you've been truly trolled by my .sig.

>> Trolling is a practical joke, generally played on people who take
>> Usenet just a Little Too Seriously (tm). Does trolling invoke flames?
>> Sure, sometimes, but they're funny to those who know what's going on.
>> Try posting to a Star Wars newsgroup that the T in "Captain John T.
>> Kirk" stands for "Tiberius" and see the wacky hilarity that ensues.

>Thank you very much for the self justification for you ****ing with this NG.

"****ing with this newsgroup"? By following up with a bit of silly
nonsense to a crossposted, off-topic post? Yeah, that sure did wreak
havoc upon this little corner of cyberspace. I'm surprised the walls
are still standing.

>We HAD a nice little corner left here until YOU ****ed things up.
>Yeah, you Kevin, ever since your little tirade against TFM when you first
>started x-posting the signal to noice ratio has fallen badly.

Yeah, you're right. I really should have said nothing when the Fat Boy
posted about "Martin Koon Boulevard" and started frothing about
"******s." And I really shouldn't have trolled Brick into thinking
that I was black. Then he wouldn't have had any reason to call me a
"******." That way, we could have all continued to pretend that they
are both decent people.

(An aside to newbies to AFB: Google on "Martin Koon" in AFB.)

> THANKS KEVIN!
>Kevin, Miles is a better AFB netizen than you, he's had fewer OT posts since
>he's come here

Google says you're wrong. But feel free to prove your point some other
way, if you'd like.

> and at least he doesn't cross post flame-bait. Think about
>it.

I have. And I've tried to explain to you the difference between
trolling and posting flame bait. Feel free to show me what constitutes
flame bait in this thread.

>It's a wonder that you cross post those posts that show you at your very
>worst, why do you x-post only those posts that show yourself as a rabid
>spastic flamer?

Feel free to show me the flames I've posted in this thread. You are
once again mistaking posting silly nonsense with flaming and with
posting flame-bait.

>Is that really what you are most proud of and want propogated across the
>net? And what do you have against AFB that you are trying to get it to turn
>into the flame ridden quagmire that RFC has become?

Are you still questioning my motives? I've been very clear about them.
I've told you before, but I'll tell you again: I have many times said
that I would one day show AFB what trolling is, and what it isn't.
Here was a perfect opportunity: an off-topic, irrelevant, crossposted
thread, into which I injected a bit of silly nonsense. Oh, and I
invited the folks at alt.religion.kibology, because they have a sense
of humor.

>Do you think if you took a poll of the regular members here that they would
>approve of x-posting, trolls or flame wars?

Polls in an alt. newsgroup? Meaningless. I'll assess the desires of
AFB posters by their actions. You, for instance, are following up to
what you know are trolling posts. You aren't crossposting, but you did
(and are) attempting to flame me. So I have to assume that you are in
favor of at least two out of three.

>Thanks again for screwing this NG up KEVIN, if you can learn some self
>control and take your bile somewhere else AFB might be able to normalize
>after a while.

Bile? Show it to me, please. In this thread.

>> I need an excuse? Hell, I don't even need a reason. This is Usenet,
>> and trolling is a time-honored tradition in Usenet culture. You don't
>> like it? Find a way to cope.

>Kevin, I only see more self justification for the meanness you've done to
>the people here.

What's mean about a small practical joke? Is it mean that the Fat Boy
and Harry D. and maybe some others got trolled? Hardly. I've been
trolled before, but I never thought the troller was being malicious. I
just thought that I had been tricked into believing something that
wasn't actually what it appeared to be.

When was the last time you played a little joke on a co-worker? Did
you do it to be mean?

> What did these people do to you for you to treat them like
>this?

They participated in Usenet, where trolling is a time-honored
tradition.

>> First "smartass." Now "arrogant." Should I toss in a hearty "**** you"
>> just keep things even?

>Kevin, this post was originally intended to be a profanitiy laced tirade. I
>hope that simple bit of info informs you of my anger at what you've done to
>AFB.

Show me the damage.

>That I've changed it is because I'm not completely certain you are aware of
>the damage you are doing, and hope you will change, at least here at any
>rate, don't care how you conduct yourself elsewhere.

Thank you for granting me permission to be silly on Usenet, so long as
I don't do it in AFB.

>BTW Kev? You are the very last person here who should be chastising anybody
>on taking themselves too seriously.

You want to talk about the issue at hand, or do you want to talk about
personalities? An ad hominem argument is proof positive that you have
nothing substantial to say.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho