jmcquown

Default Skin Treatment on Smoked Turkey

Davis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been basting with margarine with each new addition of coals
> (about every 1.5 hours) while smoking a 12 pound turkey, but the skin
> is still coming out very dark and leathery. Any suggestions? Thanks
> in advance for your input.

It's probably taking FOREVER to smoke that turkey because you aren't suppose
to mess with it every hour, let alone baste it. Margarine? Yikes! If you
have a decent smoker, you shouldn't have to replenish the coals and hickory,
apple or whatever wood every 1.5 hours. And the water pan should keep the
skin of the turkey moist. So I'm not sure what you're doing....

However to address the colour of the skin, smoked turkey has a skin the
colour of a good mahogany. And yes, it will appear wrinkled. But, if you
keep the water pan filled, it will not be dry, tough or leathery.

Jill