Posted to rec.food.cooking
JonquilJan JonquilJan is offline

Default Food to hoard

About food storage. And foods to stock. I am disabled and sometimes can't
get around very much for not only days but weeks at a time. Being of a self
sufficient bent (and stubborn) I tend to have a great deal of food stock on
hand. I also stock water, on a rotating basis - using empty 2 liter soda
(actually seltzer) bottles which get refilled and rotated once a week (have
22 - 2 in use)

Dry beans, rice (brown), couscous, bulgur, corn grits (polenta), dried fruit
(apricots, raisins, cherries, cranberries, apples) canned veggies (lots of
tomatoes and green beans and an assortment of other items). I go light on
canned soups becuase of the salt content. Have an assortment of dry soup
mixes. Lots of tea - almost all herbal or green - shelf stable tofu - a
good assortment of herbs and spices - especially pepper - black, lemon,
garlic flavored. Pastas and noodles - but not Ramen (too salty and goes
rancid easily). Oils (canola and olive), Bottled juices. Some nuts -
cashews and walnuts. Some seeds - pumpkin and sunflower. Oatmeal, some dry
cereal and granola, farina. Soy milk. Flour and other needs for baking
bread.

Now all of this is to my personal tastes and needs. Big item - do NOT
stock/hoard items you don't regularly eat and DO rotate your stock. Unless
you are hoarding in anticipation of trading. For that - salt, pepper and
spices probably take up the least space and are the lightest.

My dream - to get a few chickens.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying