jmcquown

Default Thanksgiving for temporary curmudgeons

Mark Shaw wrote:
> I have had an extremely ****ed-up year, and have very little to
> be thankful for. I'm certainly not going to invite anyone over
> and put out a Thanksgiving spread, but I don't really want to go
> out anywhere, either -- any suggestions?
>
> I'm serious. This is the first holiday season of my life that
> I'd be happiest just skipping. Going into a coma until New Year's
> Day would be ideal, but I don't know how to arrange that.
>
> I thought of something along the lines of running off to Vegas, but
> I have an elderly dog at home and no sitter for her, so I have to
> stay in the Dallas area.
>
> I don't want any sympathy, either. I'm not looking for anyone to
> blow any sunshine up my dress; everybody has good times and bad
> times during their lives. This is just one of those bad times for
> me and I'm wondering if anyone has any appropriate suggestions for
> the holidays, food-and-celebration-wise.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Note: this was crossposted to dfw.eats, alt.food.barbecue, and
> rec.food.cooking. I've set followups to rec.food.cooking, because
> it's the most general of the three -- and I suspect others out
> there may also benefit from the responses.

[Cross-posting deleted.]
Buy a cornish game hen, split it in half, brush it with melted butter
seasoned with sage and ground rosemary and grill it on the Weber... and hope
it doesn't rain!

Bake your stuffing, hopefully made from leftover cornbread baked in a cast
iron skillet, in a bread pan at about 350F. Here's where you can liven up
your stuffing: add some cooked wild rice, or browned sausage, or chopped
pecans.

Steam whatever veggie you like (I prefer at this time of year some sort of
squash and in fact you can grill acorn squash and start it before you add
the hens; brush cut squash with butter, season with salt & pepper; place cut
side down on the grill and cook about 30 minutes.

Heat up some rolls, if you so desire, or perhaps some Garlic Texas Toast.

Now, you have to get all dressed up to eat your fancy meal... NOT! Put on
some sweats but please have on clean underwear

Jill