Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread?

I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go into,
left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos ago. Lo and
behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!

To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without molding,
for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in fact, 2 of
those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially cool climes
during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in late Sept, it was
literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc, and the the flavor quite
enjoyable. WTF!?

Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to last
forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect combination
of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to wonder. BTW, PF
breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat at a minor reduced
cost. Check it out.

nb ....jes mumbling