Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Classic vs Not So Classic Banana Pudding

On Oct 7, 7:08*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
> >> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
> >> fridge. Any solutions??

> > You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
> > parchment paper. *Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
> > transfer to the pudding just before serving.

> Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
> the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
> THANK YOU!!!
> (I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
> and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)

You can stabilize meringue pretty well by using powdered sugar instead
of granulated as the sweetener; in addition, you can add some meringue
powder to your meringue and that will help. (The same holds true for
whipped cream - no need to wait until the last minute to beat it up -
do it several hours earlier, and with powdered sugar and meringue
powder, it will hold nicely.)

N.