Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou Decruss[_2_] Lou Decruss[_2_] is offline

Default Food to hoard

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:06:24 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>And "food to hoard"? Ya gotta be *kidding*, food in the US is cheaper and
>more available than at *any* time anywheres in history.

The problem is there is to MUCH food. Which is why the US government
subsidizes almost a buck per bushel of corn. Then the stuff rots or
is made into something else that we really don't need but the big food
giants can get rich on.

>Otherwise what
>accounts for the huge amount of obesity in this country, *especially* among
>the poor...a time traveler from a century ago - or even from 1940 - would be
>pretty amazed to be set down in a ghetto or barrio or rural trailer park and
>told that those people are "poor".

I'm about halfway through reading "BUILDING HOUSES OUT OF CHICKEN LEGS
Black Women, Food, and Power." The black ladies in the book would
be amazed that people get money for food without doing anything for
it. The article that Dog 3 seemed to be leaning in the direction
that the people weren't getting enough. If I were to need food stamps
I'd be glad for anything I could get rather than bitching I wasn't
getting enough.

So far this is a great book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/bo....html?emc=eta1

Lou