Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_89_] Gregory Morrow[_89_] is offline

Default Food to hoard

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> "Gill Smith" > wrote:
>
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?

> I was just outside a little while ago, and saw no sign of the sky
> falling. People may not have money to buy the nicer things in life, but
> I don't see anybody at risk of starving. Much of the food in the US is
> used for animal feed. Perhaps fewer animals will be grown for food, and
> there will be that much more food for people.

Yup, this current media hysteria about the banks and the market and such is
just that - hysteria. You'd think that it was 1929 again with all the
natterers going on about the sitch 24/7. I've seen *much* worse in my
lifetime, and I'm a young 'un relatively speaking (I'm 50). We've had
terrible energy shocks in the 70's, stagflation with an economy basically
dead in the water in the Ford - Carter years, double - digit virtually
Depression - era unemployment in the early 80's...

The market goes up, the market goes down. People with NO means made stoopid
"decisions" in buying real estate, people live *way* beyond any reasonable
means with credit cards, etc. A lot of the current hoo - ha IMNSHO is
because there is now an entitlement mentality among many; there are NO
guarantees and nobody *ever* said it was gonna be "easy"...now many want not
just a bail - out to weather the tougher times, they want a free *hand -
out*. Hey, I'd like some free dough for my DVD 'habit' and to help with my
bar tab, maybe I should just ask!

95% of mortgage holders are still current, the vast majority of folks are
still gainfully employed...and those are the people who will in the long run
be paying the way of the deadbeats who were wrongfully given mortgages with
bad credit, no money down, no understanding of the terms, etc...

And "food to hoard"? Ya gotta be *kidding*, food in the US is cheaper and
more available than at *any* time anywheres in history. Otherwise what
accounts for the huge amount of obesity in this country, *especially* among
the poor...a time traveler from a century ago - or even from 1940 - would be
pretty amazed to be set down in a ghetto or barrio or rural trailer park and
told that those people are "poor".

--
Best
Greg