Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Dick Adams[_3_] Dick Adams[_3_] is offline

Default Wine Cellar Demand

> wrote:

> I'm a student from the University of Auckland.
> I'm doing an assignment based on wine cellars.
> I'm wondering if you guys can help tell me what
> the demand for wine cellars are.
> How many bottles of wine on average do wine
> consumers have stored on their house, 50, 100,
> 150 or more?
> If I can get the basic idea of how many bottles
> of wine are kept in each household I can have a
> rough idea of what the demand for wine cellars are

I disagree with your last sentence. While the
demand for wine coolers and extra refrigerators may
be driven by storage, the demand for wine cellars
is driven by wealth, cultural sophistication, climate,
soil, avocation, and the inability or lack of desire
to build your own.

In the States, the further north you go, the colder
it gets and the harder the ground gets. Houses in
the "Land of the damnyankee Show' often have
basements. There are few urban areasin the southern
hemisphere that experience the cold winters of the
northern hemisphere, e.g., the southern part of NZ's
South Island, the OZ's New England Plateau, and OZ's
Snowny Mountains. Even then the NE Plateau is the
only one that is really urban.

If you presume that wealth is a significant independent
variable, you might consider a mailing to houses in
urban zip codes with high income levels inquiring of
them their wine cache, the existance of a wine cellar,
the desire for a wine cellar, etc.

Dick