Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default No savings in home gardening?

On Oct 1, 7:21*am, Mikie > wrote:
> In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
> felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.
>
> Well! *If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! *But the
> gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! *Think!

I'm guessing you mean that an "organic garden" will give you produce
that hasn't been exposed to pesticides and herbicides. While that's
true, such produce is nowadays readily available in many markets and
supermarkets. What we have found interesting in our little backyard
plots is how quick and beneficial the effects of insecticides are.
When plants are being devoured by some little critters and you apply
an insecticide and the damage stops you get the point. You can choose
to stay 'organc' by using only things like BT and (can't remember the
name of the other main one, starts with a 'P') but each product has a
specific range--it kills certain critters and doesn't others. The
point I'm wandering around here is that if you wonder why organic
produce costs you'll learn quickly when you try to grow your own. -
aem