Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Do bread machines really save that much time

On Sep 25, 8:27*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > straight dough method, I dont think it really saves that much time.

> > Brian Christiansen

> It gives the perception of saving time, I think.
>
> *And there are those folks who get off on using the delay timer so they
> can have fresh bread when they wake in the morning.
>
> The machines let people with *absolutely no experience* turn out a loaf
> of freshly baked bread. *Often, those folks also have *absolutely no
> interest* in working dough with their own hands whatsoever. *
>
> They may not save time but they save energy of motion. *The only thing
> you have to do is measure accurately and put the ingredients into the
> pan in the right order. *No stirring, no wondering if you're doing it
> right.
>
> I borrowed my daughter's a couple years ago and used it maybe four or
> five times to see what the shouting is about. *Reminds me that I should
> return it to them. *
>
> I'm not sure that their attractiveness is based on saving time, Brian.

My impression, not having a bread machine, is that while they make
okay bread, I have not seen one that can beat a conventionally made
loaf of bread.

They may save some time although I have estimated that it takes me ~10
minutes actual working time from start to finish to make 2-3 loaves of
plain white or whole wheat bread. The only thing is that one needs to
be around occasionally to knead the bread, toss it in the oven, etc.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada