Posted to rec.food.cooking
sueb sueb is offline

Default Do bread machines really save that much time

On Sep 25, 5:48*am, val189 > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2:44 am, "Brian Christiansen"
>

> > wrote:
> > I recently put together a toastmasters group presentation about making
> > bread. *While I was puting it together I got to wondering if a bread machine
> > truly saves time.

> > The bread certainly does not rise or bake any faster in a bread machine..

> > If you use a bread machine, you do not have to knead the bread, and that
> > saves about 10 minutes, but at least some of that savings is countered by
> > having to get the bread machine out of and back into storage, unless of
> > course you have the counter space to keep it set up all the time.

> > If you make bread by the sponge method, the sponge has to be started the day
> > before the actual baking (or at least that is the impression that I get from
> > several of the recipes that I looked at - I have never used that method),
> > but it isn't like you have to sit out in the kitchen watching the sponge
> > develop.

> > Also the impression that I get is that the development of the sponge is what
> > develops the flavor, and whether the kneading method is by hand or
> > mechanical in a bread machine or whatever really does not make that much
> > difference (though opinions seem to vary on this as well), but like with the
> > straight dough method, I dont think it really saves that much time.

> > Brian Christiansen

> For me, it's the saving of money, it's the superior taste and
> nutrition, it's the aroma which fills the house, it's never running
> out of bread, it's the variety one can enjoy....I've had a machine for
> almost 20 years and have never been sorry. *Sure, it takes a little
> planning, but it's become part of the home routine.
> I have two machines now, and there ARE days when both are hummin'.
> * It takes about two minutes to dump in the ingredients. *Hell, I've
> waited longer at the a supermkt bakery counter for someone to get me
> bread, bag it, slap on a price and not say thank you.- Hide quoted text -

I use one because I'm a lousy kneader. It's hard to recognize your
own limitations, but I've come to terms with this one.

I use one because I want to be sure of the ingredients in what I'm
eating. Everytime I would check the ingredients lists on the bread at
the store, they would change. I don't have time or energy to read
fine print ingredient lists on 5 different kinds of bread.

So I measure in the raw materials, let it mix, knead, and time the
rises. I actually take it out before the 3rd rise (I only make whole
wheat), let it rise in a loaf pan, and bake it in the oven. That
eliminates the big hole in the bottom from the kneading paddle.

Probably doesn't save any time. But I get great results and I know
what I'm eating.

Susan B.