Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Corked NZ wine

On Sep 25, 3:29�am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> "Anders T�rneskog" > wrote:
> >> JFTMOR: a riesling -- from wherever it might come -- probably
> >> never ever has seen a barrel even by distance. (I know that a
> >> few exceptions exist, thank you.)

> > Fuder is not a barrel?

> Sorry folks, my misinterpretation. I was thinking of new barrels.
>
> Btw, has anyone heard of old barrels becoming TCA-infected?
>
> M.

My impression was that it is mostly old barrels that get TCA
infection. Old barrels get cleaned (to prevent brett and other
bacterial infections), and if done improperly (using something with
clorine, including just chlorinated water) that can lead to systemic
TCA.

So if a winery is Riesling only, and uses fuders, do they always buy
used barrels? My assumption was that occasionally there was a new
fuder, but the size (and probably lack of heavy charring) meant
minimal oak transfer.