Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default cellaring

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i melding
> "Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:
>
>> (the fabled stash of great wines at Glamis castle, Scotland,
>> discovered some time in the 60-ies or 70-ies had survived a
>> century at 41F...)

> Sorry Anders, but I simply cannot believe that the overall annual
> average temperature of the site of a Scottish castle would be 41F =
> less than 3°C. That's more something like the average temperature
> of a high alpine chalet or anything near the polar circle. Simply
> impossible, imnsho.
>
> M.

Hi Michael
41F is 9 degrees Fahrenheit above 32, the freezing point, so is equal to
5°C...
Now it appears that average yearly temperature in Scotland ranges from 7 to
9°C. If we say 8°C then that is 46.4°F... (Somewhere on the net someone
wrote that the Glamis Castle cellar was between 41 and 45...?)
Perhaps you might be able to check with Broadbent or Christies whether they
have any notes about that?
Best
Anders