Posted to alt.food.wine

Default venison with wine jelly matching

DaleW wrote:
> I love venison, though I don't care for the sweet berry sauces it's
> almost invariably paired with. Tonight it's my turn to cook, and I
> thawed some D'Artagnan loin chops and am preparing a recipe from
> package, for grilling chops, topping with red wine jelly, and serving
> with relish.
> Chops- marinaded in oil, s & p, thyme, and garlic.
> Jelly- 1 cup wine, 1/2 cup red currant jelly, shallots, reduce by
> half, chill
> Relish - tomato, mint, watercress, oil.
> I used Brun Beaujolais for jelly, substituted baby arugula for
> watercress as I had everything else.
> My first thought with venison is usually Syrah, with Bordeaux in
> second. What say you, with the jelly and the relish?

First of all, I think that this dish (like Duck à l'Orange) is a victim
of bad translation: be it lingonberry or redcurrant sauce, those
Germanic berry sauces are more tart than sweet, making wine pairing
easier. I'm with you in going to Syrah as I think that venison with
Syrah is one of life's great matches. I'm less concerned with the jelly
than the relish. Mint is a tough thing to match and arugula's
bitterness isn't a natural for red wines, while the tomato needs high
acidity. What about a powerhouse Riesling? Got any LGK or auction
Auslesen ready for drinking? If you wanted to stick to red, you'd want
something fairly big, acidic and slightly sweet. Got any Grange? Or
maybe a big D'Arenberg? (They seem to come with their own mintiness so
wouldn't be put off by the relish IMO).

Mark Lipton